It is a good idea to be cautious when selling online. There's always a potential risk involved in transferring goods and payments between two parties. Read the Tips for Sellers below for safety suggestions. Be smart, use common sense, and have fun!
- Arrange a time and place for the buyer to see the item.
- Plan it so that you are not home alone
- Have the item ready to view/test
- Ask for cash; only accept a cheque or money order if the buyer will wait for it to clear before giving the item.
- Online fraud schemes and scams are prevalent – Learn to protect yourself! Ever get an offer that was too good to be true? It probably was. Be aware of internet fraud, con artists and overseas scams.
- Please note that there is currently an internet-wide fraud which targets individuals with items for sale online. The fraudster, usually overseas, contacts the seller by email, usually offering them more money than the asking price. The fraudster offers to pay by transferring funds using either known or unknown payment services. DO NOT respond to these emails. If you wish to avoid this completely, we recommend that you DO NOT post your email address in the ad, as contact is made almost exclusively by email.
- All ads on BargainHunter.ca are published in good faith. The BargainHunter does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise of any ad, whether on-line or not, nor is any warranty expressed or implied by such publication. The BargainHunter specifically disclaims all and any liability to advertisers, readers and users of any kind for loss or damage of any nature whatsoever and however arising, whether due to inaccuracy, error, omission or any other cause and whether on the part of the BargainHunter, its employees or agents or any other person. All ads are accepted at the BargainHunter's absolute discretion. When deemed necessary, all copy may be edited and classified at the BargainHunter's discretion. All copy offered for publication in the BargainHunter must be legal and is accepted for publication (or not) at the publisher's absolute discretion.
How to create a better classified ad:
- Title. The best classifieds capture the buyer's attention immediately. Be creative when you create the classified ad title. It should mention your item or service's best features. In addition, you should only include a price in the headline if it is an obvious selling point, for example: "Brand New Cell Phone,$5".
- Keywords. Buyers usually run keyword searches to find items or services. Our system looks for keywords in classified ad titles, so remember to include relevant keywords in your title.
- Classified Ad Description. Classifieds on bargainhunter.ca, unlike newspaper classifieds, don't charge by the word or line. In most cases, you can include as much information as you like and include multiple photos.
- Benefits. A great classified ad says how an item will benefit the buyer. Describe the benefits of every relevant feature your item or service provides.
- Honesty. Classifieds should clearly and honestly represent what is being sold or offered. The same is true for the title and classified ad description. Honesty, above all else, makes a great classified ad.
How to attract more buyers:
- Create a detailed classified ad. Include any relevant facts and details about the item or service in your classified ad description and title. The more information you include, the less likely the buyer will have questions or doubts about the terms of the sale. Be sure to describe the age of the item, its condition, and anything that makes the item or service different or unique.
- Be responsive. Providing rapid responses to buyer inquiries encourages buyers to make offers. Delays annoy buyers and could cause you to lose a sale.
- Place your classified ad in the correct category. The key to finding a buyer is smart targeting of your classified ad. Browse through our category lists to determine the best place for your classified ad.
- Use optional Ad Promotions such as Feature Ads to increase the visibility of your classified ad.
- Check the price. Overpricing your item makes it difficult to sell. Do a little research. Visit any shopping portal to find out how much the item costs when it's new. Look at other classified ads to find the going rate for items similar to yours.
- Add a picture to your classified ad. In addition to your classified ad description, pictures help to represent your item for sale. Pictures also help to indicate damage or repairs on an item, and illustrate the item's condition. Typically, buyers make more offers on classifieds with pictures.
- Be courteous to buyers. Courtesy and consideration are the highlights of service. Write in complete sentences when you correspond with buyers and be thoughtful in your responses. This will help you to build rapport with your buyers and build their confidence in the sale. This also encourages buyers to leave positive feedback for you. The more positive feedback you accumulate, the better your member rating will be.
- Post your classified ad only once. Bargainhunter.ca does not permit the insertion of your classified ad in several places at once. Posting the same classified ad in several areas and/or several times is considered "Spam" and is annoying to buyers.
- Your ad will run for the posting period you choose. However, when you sell your item, you should deactivate or delete your classified ad from MyAds. This will prevent buyers from making offers on items or services that are not available.